Wente 09 from Jason G.

Short Report: 2nd Place with a 2-man break-away in the last 4-6 miles. 60 degrees with wind -- enough to blow around deep dish wheels, but not enough to break up the field. Long report:"Be a parasite!" were the words of encouragement that Karl W offered pre-race. I followed his advice and stayed off the front for 2 of the 3 laps of the Wente Road Race. Wente by others' accounts is a race of attrition and that suits my style very well. My strategy even before talking to Karl was to stay towards the front, but off the front, for most of the race to conserve for a strong last lap. The K.O.M. ensured that we had a strong start into the first climb . . . I let others have the lactate test, not wanting to burn any matches. For two laps, the field stayed together and riders got shed off the back. 3rd time up Carrol Road, the 1 major hill (also to the finish), a Wells, another rider (ZTeam?) and I were slightly off the front. They opened up the third climb and we had a small gap on the remaining group. We pulled just strong enough to keep the field honest and ended up regrouping. Through the back side and through the descent, I was on and off the front for the first time in the race, but not spending too much time on the front. By Cross Road, the field was sitting. I'd have a strong pull, flick my elbow right . . . flick my elbow left . . . swing from the gutter to the center line . . . nobody was pulling through. I sat up and some attacks started. At ?Tesla? Road, a Rio rider, Steve Christiansen and I broke off the front. Into a headwind, we decided it was too early, not worth it, and let the field come back. Our plan was to open it up at Greenville Road, which had been a tailwind section . . . and I did. I hammered down Greenville, up the hill and recovered on the descent. I let others take a turn on the downhill and past the start line, but I was keeping in good position. Right around the 580 underpass, "Rio Steve" went again and I hopped on his wheel. We were gapping the field. We kept the tempo high and were working well together. Turning right on Altamont Pass Road, we had started passing slower fields. "RIDERS ON YOUR LEFT! RIDERS ON YOUR LEFT" was standard and we squeezed by, giving us further cushion on the field. On Altamont, I told Steve, "We've got room. I think they're going to let us go." From sitting up for a minute to dropping the hammer again, Steve and I worked together all the way up Altamont, back up Carrol Road. Half way through Carrol, the moto came up and said, "There's a two-man chase group, but I don't think they're going to get you!" I was leading and had been leading up Carrol with Steve on my wheel. "I don't think I have much more than you," he had said at the bottom of Carroll. Tactically, Steve was in perfect position . . . about 100m from the finish, I heard Steve go to his big ring and I had nothing left to go with him. But, we were 1 and 2. I love a break-away! I wish I had good news about other Masters 35+ 4's, but I think my teammates were shed off the back at various parts of the race. I saw Mark H on the second lap (I think), but that was it. The first and third times up Carrol were BRUTAL!
Lessons Learned:1. Thanks Karl! -- BE A PARASITE 2. Continue to have smart pulls when it counts -- NO HERO PULLS (none for me in this race) 3. Stay off the front in the beginning -- my main marked rider cramped when we went late in the race & I think because he spent too much time on the front, early. Plus, he got one of the KOM's.4. Continue to recognize the gap and go at the "right" time -- Steve & I didn't sit up on Altamont & kept our lead, even though we were both hurting.5. Be ready for that shift to the big ring. Shift first, or shift when he does. Back off a little if you're on the front?6. Riders who get dropped on the climb can regroup with the field on the descent. We were slow on the first two descent laps.

Thanks... Jason

No comments: