From Nelson... Sonora 09

Maybe taking such an active role in encouraging fellow teammates into joining me for the Sonora Road Race 35+4 wasn't that great of an idea after all. Maybe I was going a bit overboard in sending personal emails to teammates encouraging them to drop their family plans for the day and come support the team. Maybe boasting to Lee on the drive down about how I've never seen a crash in a road race I was in was a jinx.The first omen of the day was when I returned from my warm-up ride and Steven Woo of SugarCRM said he just crashed going over some railroad tracks on the course, and just then Lee rides in looking shaken up and saying he just crashed going over some railroad tracks. He injured his shoulder, but said he thought he would be able to race. Lee was the only one responding to my race recruitment email, and it was only a maybe. After strongly encouraging him to come including an offer to help him get the win he hesitantly agreed to come saying it would at least probably be as good for training as the ride he was planning on. Bob B. showed up as expected, and I was thrilled to see Mark H. and Greg his father show up unexpectedly to support us as well.We rolled out from the quaint gold rush town of Jamestown onto the 13.5 mile loop for 4 laps with Mark setting the pace at the front up the first few climbs stacked at the front side of the course. Things went to pieces within 10 minutes when we rode over a rain-slicked railroad crossing and a big crash took out many racers including all the DBC'ers except Mark. As I chased back on I realized my handlebar stem was tweaked 15 degrees to the side, but I wasn't about to stop and straighten it and risk not being able to catch back on. After things regrouped, there were only a dozen or so racers in the front group, and Lee wasn't in it. I later learned Lee had a mechanical problem from the crash that took too long to fix to catch back on. Greg cracked a brand new helmet in the crash. The group stayed together as we rode through intermittent rain, mud slicks that splattered up into your face and a chilly wind on the lower section of the course that was making my legs start to cramp. Just before we finished the 3rd lap, Mark rode up, put his hand on my back and said his day was done, that he was cramping fiercely and calling it quits. "No, don't stop!" I implored! "Just keep pedaling and when you warm up on the climb they'll get better!" As we went up the climbs on the last lap, Matt Wocosek of Team Bicycle Trip broke away and nobody had the legs to match him. Bob led the chase around the back side, but after failing to enlist adequate support decided to go for it alone. For awhile I thought he might make it, but the headwind and rollers took their toll and he was caught. Mark pulled up and commented something like I was to credit (or was it to blame?) for him still being in the race. We hit the final stair-stepped 1K climb to the finish and I went around the pack on the first step and realized I overcooked it a bit and had to back off as James Porter of Webcor/AltoVelo (winner of the Sea Otter 35+4RR) and another rider went past me as I held on for fourth, with Bob following closely behind. Mark persevered through severe cramping and even passed a rider at the end for a top 10 finish as well!All-in-all, I would say it was a great race course except for the tracks, and people were wondering if they could cover the tracks for the race next time. But next time, I'm just going to sign up and race! Nelson

No comments: